It is foreseen to ecologically enhance the lock Fürfurt, to restore the linear patency and to improve diversity of biotopes and species at the river Lahn by realizing a morphological transformation of parts of the sluice island and adjoining areas. The two existing fish ladders will be re-constructed as well.
Beside the sluice island, adjacent shore areas and selected foreland areas will be included in the measure as well.
Specific objectives and contents of this action are:
• Promoting typical (alluvial) vegetation by replacing non-typical trees
• Preservation, safeguarding and creation of unsealed shore sections
• Reducing disturbing factors for avifauna at the island and in the riparian areas
• Better integration of shipping facilities (for use by water tourism) into the landscape
• Transfer of intensively used arable and grassland into extensively used grassland (land purchase of alluvial plains downstream)
In order to achieve this, a detailed inventory and intensive negotiations have to be carried out in order to allow for further planning.
The aerial photograph shows the current situation at the Fürfurt lock.